After working in a dermatology clinic for 12 years and knowing the basic algorithm that dermatologists follow to clear acne – I know that acne will usually relapse once the medications are stopped. And the acne will usually come back way worse.
This is because the root cause of acne is not being addressed when medications are prescribed. And often the medications exacerbate the imbalances in the body that are creating acne in the first place.
It is a vicious, sad cycle that is ruining the lives of millions of people and making the pharmaceutical companies very wealthy.
So let’s break down some of the most common medications that are prescribed to acne sufferers and how they affect the body.
1. Topical anti-biotics, retin-A, and steroids. These preparations are usually the first thing that doctors will prescribe, and often they can make acne way worse. They can disrupt the moisture barrier and leave the skin raw and irritated – and prone to more acne and scarring. Topical antibiotics can also disrupt the natural micro-biome of the skin and lead to fungal acne.
2. The birth control pill. Did you know that the pill actually shuts down all your natural progesterone and estrogen production? There are so many side effects and consequences – and acne will come back WAY WORSE when you stop the pill because your body responds with an androgen surge, and often a condition called post-pill PCOS.
3. Spironolactone. This drug has historically been used as a diuretic for heart failure and high blood pressure, but is also an androgen-blocker, which is how it helps reduce acne in about 30% of women that take the medication. The side effects can include imbalanced electrolytes, irregular periods, low blood pressure, headaches, diarrhea, cramps, drowsiness, rash, nausea, vomiting, irregular hair growth, etc.
It also takes about 3 months to work and acne will usually come back after the medication is stopped.
4. Oral anti-biotics. I don’t think I have to go into much detail here. Every time you take an antibiotic, you kill your beneficial bacteria along with the problematic ones. This can set the stage for yeast infections, chronic candidiasis, fungal acne, as well as resistant bacterial strains. Your acne is going to full-on rage after stopping them.
5. Accutane. Did you know that the Swiss company that originally sold Accutane spent most of its time in court defending itself against people whose health was irreparably damaged by the drug? It lost every single court case and paid so much in damages that it eventually stopped selling Accutane in 2009. The generic form (isotretinoin) is still alive and well, however the side effects continue to severely damage people.
Side effects include: 100% guarantee of birth defects, 21% reduction in frontal brain activity (which leads to severe depression, suicide, aggressive behaviour and psychotic reactions), liver damage, headaches and brain swelling, development of inflammatory bowel disease, pancreatitis, and TOO MANY MORE TO LIST HERE.
To top it all off, it does not always solve acne in women. It can often come back.
Hey – I love you and I know how physically and emotionally traumatizing acne can be. But the only solution to getting rid of your acne for good is to balance your body from the inside out. Please don’t take these dangerous medications. There is a better alternative.
Because acne is the sign that your body is not in balance, re-balancing your body from the inside out is the only way to get rid of acne for good. And – it often takes just as long to re-balance the body as it takes for most of the above medications to work.
The side effects of balancing your body from the inside out? Better digestion, balanced hormones, less stress, more energy, and the best health of your life.
As women, we need to start a health care revolution and take back our power. We do not need to poison our bodies with medications that do not solve our issues – instead we need to learn how to balance our bodies from the inside out. That is true empowerment.
I am so excited to help you on your clear skin journey – so please check out my 7-Week Clear Skin Program so you can empower yourself to balance your body and solve your acne naturally.