Why A Healthy Diet Isn't Clearing Your Skin
When we consider purchasing a new skincare product we often do a ton of research – we look at the ingredients, read the reviews, do some price comparisons, try a sample – we cover all the angles!
But when it comes to healing our acne for good , from the inside out – it is not as easy to figure out what to do. Often we are unable to find the information we need or the amount of information is simply too over whelming or conflicting. Or, sometimes you can try something and it doesn’t work – or (even worse) it can cause your acne to flare up. What is going on? How do you REALLY solve acne for good and why isn’t adopting a healthy diet working its magic?
First of all, let’s talk about what a healthy, clear skin diet looks like.
The Best Diet for Clear Skin
Certain food items are likely to trigger acne, while others can play an active role in improving your skin health.
So, how do you know what to eat and what not to eat? What is the best healthy diet plan for clear skin?
If you are confused about which foods are going to help you clear your skin, here are some tips for designing your the clear skin diet:
- Drink lots of water. Staying hydrated is essential not just for your skin health but also for your overall health. Your body is approximately 60% water, and it should not come as a surprise that your body needs enough water to ensure proper functionality. Drinking lots of water is the foundation of clear skin, so make sure that you are drinking at least eight glasses of water every day.
- Avoid sugar. Sugar must not be a part of your clear skin diet. Unfortunately, sugar is just about everything we eat. Ensure that you stay within (or even below) the recommended sugar intake limits. I would advise you to take sugar only in the form of fruits and completely avoid sugar that is found elsewhere.
- Avoid alcohol. Alcohol is a toxin that effects our physiology on many different levels. It can cause strokes, heart disease, and dementia. Apart from this, most alcoholic drinks contain huge amounts of sugar. This will affect not just your skin but almost every organ in your body.
- Avoid processed foods. Processed foods are full of fats, salts, and sugars. This is why it is always better and healthier to prepare food at home using fresh ingredients.
- Avoid dairy. Dairy contains bovine growth hormone, which looks very similar to human growth hormone. When bovine growth hormone binds to human growth hormone receptors in humans, it can aggravate acne in susceptible individuals.
- Antioxidants. The more antioxidants you consume, the more you are able to prevent oxidation, which is part of the process of acne formation. The best diet for clear skin is one that is full of antioxidants.
Why Isn’t A Healthy Diet Clearing Your Skin?
Some people can adopt a really healthy diet and their acne will clear up right away.
Other people eat a horrible diet and their skin remains crystal clear.
And then there’s some of us that eat an amazing diet, do everything right and yet our acne persists.
So why is this?
The truth is that for many, many people diet is not going to be the final solution for acne.
Diet is always the most important foundation to establishing a healthy lifestyle and balancing your body, but you cannot clear your skin and balance your body if certain organ systems are deeply imbalanced. Often certain systems in the body need extra support – support that you are not able to get from diet alone. This is when supplementation and naturopathic therapies are important to help support and revitalize the organ systems that are stressed and imbalanced so that you can finally heal your body and get clear skin.
If your acne is genetic, for instance, you may need to support your systems of detoxification, or balance your microbiome in addition to eating a great diet in order to get clear skin.
A history of antibiotic use, years on the birth control pill, too much sugar, a poor diet that dysregulated the microbiome – these are all examples of situations where diet alone may not be enough to balance the body and heal acne. Additional support may be needed, often in the form of supplements and herbs specifically for whatever imbalance needs to be addressed.
Other examples of situations where diet alone may not be enough to heal acne include dysregulated insulin levels, polycystic ovarian syndrome, leaky gut, and chronic stress. All these situations stress organ systems and create imbalances that cannot always be solved by diet – further measures need to be taken to properly balance the body and clear the skin.
This is also very individual – each person has a unique history and their imbalance reflect this. It is important to take a careful look at what imbalances are being expressed – and create a healing protocol designed specifically for that individual.
Acne is a sign that there is an imbalance in the body, and establishing a diet that works for your body is always the foundation of healing. But sometimes, diet is not enough to heal the body.
If this is your experience, do not despair and think that a healthy diet is not working for you – instead, we need to do a deeper dive and uncover the root causes of your acne and support any organ systems that are stressed and imbalanced.
In my 7-Week Clear Skin Program, I teach you how to design a diet that is perfect for your body – and then I teach you how to figure out which imbalances you may be experiencing that are contributing to your acne.
Step-by-step, we go through the organ systems that are often imbalanced when acne is present, and how to support and heal these systems so that your acne is solved, for good!
The only side effect of balancing and healing your body is improved health, more vitality and beautiful skin.
And if you have acne and you need help healing your acne, check out my 7-Week Clear Skin Program. It has helped thousands of women clear their acne, feel beautiful again and get their self-confidence back – because we all know that acne is a confidence killer. It really affects us not only physically, but emotionally. And the good news is, you do not have to live with acne.
Click the link below to learn more about my 7-Week Clear Skin Program and get started on your clear skin journey today!