Cellulite isn’t just a very common cosmetic problem. It can also lead to circulatory problems if allowed to fester unchecked. Check out the following information – brief and to the point. How do I approach cellulite reduction and elimination in my Naturopathic practice?
What Causes Cellulite?
- Excess estrogen is the main cause of cellulite – it increases fat in subcutaneous adipose cells which causes the fat cells to enlarge
- Larger fat cells cause increased pressure against blood and lymph vessels, which slows blood flow and increases fluid in the interstitial space. This causes reduced lymph flow which leads to an accumulation of toxins
- Slow blood flow, which leads to less oxygen, stimulates fibroblasts to increase the production of ground substance and collagen which causes abnormal dermal changes and architecture. These changes result in cellulite and its characteristic orange peel appearance.
What causes estrogen dominance?
- An imbalance between estrogen and progesterone, which can be caused by the birth control pill, exogenous estrogens (from toxins in the environment), inefficient detoxification, hormone replacement therapy, and extra body weight
- Stress produces a hormone called cortisol, which competes with the same receptor site as progesterone, which can result in progesterone deficiency and estrogen dominance
- Eating the Standard American Diet with lots of high-fat, high-sugar, overly-processed foods (eating saturated fats from meat and dairy increase circulating levels of estrogens, and eating too much sugar encourages its conversion into fat in the liver)
- An over-burdened liver
- Intestinal dysbiosis – unfriendly bacteria living in the large intestine secrete an enzyme called glucuronidase, which breaks apart estrogen from glucuronic acid (which helps eliminate estrogen) and allows estrogen to be re-circulated in the body
What is the naturopathic approach to reduce cellulite?
- Reduce excess estrogen levels and/or increase progesterone levels
- Reduce stress and strengthen the adrenal glands
- Implement a clean, plant-based diet that reduces fat and inflammation in the body
- Support the liver
- Target any yeast or dysbiosis
- Mesotherapy – the injection of homeopathic and natural medicines to melt fat cells, improve blood and lymphatic circulation, and boost the liver’s detoxification mechanism. Mesotherapy has been used successfully to treat cellulite for over 50 years in Europe and South America.