If you have active acne, chances are you may want to use a bit of make-up to camouflage your break-outs.
But could your make-up be making your acne worse?
YES – absolutely. Certain liquid foundations and powders can absolutely cause acne, as many of them contain pore-clogging ingredients.
I spent a ton of money on different formulas before I finally found the make-up that worked for me, and after guiding thousands of women through my best-selling 7-Week Clear Skin Program, it is clear that there is one type of make-up – and a few tips that can actually help you heal your acne. Here are my tips:
- Liquid foundation can aggravate your acne. There are many brands out there that claim their liquid foundation is non-comedogenic, but the truth is most liquid foundations include oils and other ingredients can be very pore-clogging for women with acne. Often, women with acne have a microbiome imbalance on their skin, which means there can be an overgrowth of certain fungi, specifically malassezia, which can feed off of oil. That’s why an oil-free regime is so important if your skin is prone to acne.
- I recommend using a pressed mineral powder foundation. Minerals (especially zinc) can be healing and anti-inflammatory – which means mineral powder can actually help improve your acne. Bonus – minerals provide extra SPF protection. A simple make-up change can make a big difference when it comes to preventing clogging.
- Use a disposable make-up sponge if you have active acne. Unless you are washing your make-up brushes daily, bacteria can build up on make-up brushes and aggravate acne.
- Spritz the face with a green tea toner after applying mineral powder foundation. Green tea is amazing for decreasing oil production and acne formation. This is also a great way to avoid the powdery look that powders can often leave. There are two options:
- Brew a strong cup of green tea and allow it to cool. Transfer to a spray bottle and spritz the face lightly after applying mineral powder.
- Purchase a bottle of organic lavender hydrosol and add 20 drops of alcohol-free green tea extract for every 100ml of hydrosol. Spritz the face lightly after applying mineral powder
- If you need more coverage, layer more powder after applying the green tea toner. And then spritz your face lightly again.
And of course, I know your next question – which mineral pressed powder is my favourite? I have a great list of amazing options in my best-selling 7-Week Clear Skin Program – but I have personally used and loved Mineral Fusion and Jane Iredale Mineral Pressed Powders over the years. They are fantastic!
Remember, you don’t have to suffer with acne. There’s always a reason for acne, which means there’s always a solution. And my best-selling 7-Week Clear Skin Program has helped thousands of women around the world clear their skin. It has a 90% success rate, and you can learn more about it and learn more tips and techniques to clear your skin in my free Clear Skin Master Class. I will share some amazing tips and information with you that is going to change your clear skin journey. I can’t wait to be your guide!