For the past ten years, I have been working at one of the busiest dermatology practices in Toronto. This means that I have tried just about every single high-end acne care product that exists. Seriously – drug and pharmaceutical representatives routinely give me skin care products complete with fancy brochures, graphs showing the product’s efficacy, and incredibly beautiful packaging. I have tried so many products, and they have never, ever impressed me.
And so, for awhile, jaded beyond belief, I stopped believing in skin care products. I numbly used what my facialist recommended and concentrated instead on healing acne from the inside out. Which, by the way, is 75% of the battle.
And then I read some research on green tea that inspired me. Applied topically, green tea can reduce acne by up to 50%. It can also reduce oil secretion by up to 75%. Whaaaat?!?! I tried to find a good product containing green tea, but I didn’t like anything on the market. Then, I thought, why don’t I just brew some strong green tea and spray it on my face? Magic. It was so easy, so simple, so liberating! The results were better than the $200 acne product that I had been using! It changed the way I thought about topical beauty care forever.
I want to empower you and liberate you from the tyranny of the cosmetic and beauty industry (whoa, right?). I have done the research and I want you to get the results.
So why should you make your own acne care products?
- No harmful chemicals or preservatives are added in the product.
- The actives (meaning the ingredients that actually fight acne) are more concentrated than in commercially-made products.
- The ingredients are high quality and organic.
- You are not supporting large companies that usually care more about their bottom line than the health and beauty of your skin.
- It is affordable.
- The acne care products I am going to teach you to make really work – the ingredients are backed by solid scientific research.
- Acne care products are soooo easy to make. So easy, in fact, that in the video below my children demonstrate how to make the products. Seriously!
- It is so empowering to take back your skin.
What acne care products do I make?
I make my own cleanser, toner, moisturizer and masks. I love using them and they make my skin glow. Some products I do not make myself, such as sunscreen and treatments (ie. retinol or beta-hydroxy serums), but otherwise I try to do it all myself.
In the video posted below my children (ages 6 and 8) are going to show you how simple it is to make a cleanser and a toner to help you get rid of acne. It takes about 5 minutes and uses only 5 ingredients – organic green tea bags, apple cider vinegar, jojoba oil, tea tree oil and lavender essential oil.
In case you don’t want to watch my children (LOL) the recipes are posted below:
Acne Oil Cleanser
50 ml jojoba oil
10 drops tea tree oil
10 drops lavender essential oil
Mix everything together in a glass bottle. That’s it.
Green Tea Toner
1 cup boiling water
4 organic green tea bags
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
10 drops lavender oil
10 drops tea tree oil
Steep 4 organic green tea bags in 1 cup of boiling water for 5-10 minutes. Add 1tbsp apple cider vinegar, 10 drops each of tea tree oil and lavender oil. Transfer to a spray bottle. That’s it!