My Clear Skin Tips
Hello Naturopathic Beauties and Happy New Year! So are you ready for my top 5 clear skin tips?
If you’re anything like me, you probably feel like you need a little clear skin reset after all the indulgences of the holiday. And so I am going to share my top five clear skin tips for an incredibly relaxing, rejuvenating, clear skin detox day.
People that suffer with acne are notorious for being poor detoxifiers. So after the holidays it is incredibly important to help your body recover so you can stay on track and continue on your clear skin journey.
Here are a few of my favourite tips to help reset both my skin and my body. Typically I will take a few days – usually the first Saturday and Sunday after the holidays are over – to allow my body to calibrate. Here are the top 5 activities for my Clear Skin Reset:
- First thing in the morning, start your day with half a lemon squeezed in a litre of warm water. This is the ultimate body flush. The lemon is going to stimulate bile production in your liver and that is going to stimulate a bowel movement. It’s also going to help your liver detoxify certain toxins. And because you are drinking this on an empty stomach, the water helps to flush through your digestive system and stimulates a cleansing bowel movement. A little secret – I love this practice so much that I do it every single morning!
- Herbal teas are incredibly powerful, and I like to sip on a detox tea throughout the day while I am doing my Clear Skin Reset. I sometimes use Traditional Medicinals Detox Tea. It contains burdock root, nettle, and dandelion. Dandelion helps flush out the body and helps the liver detoxify, burdock root has a similar action, and nettle is very high in nutritious trace minerals. It’s very nourishing for the body and for the blood. So this is one of my favourites – or you can just sip on some dandelion tea throughout the day. One note – both nettle and dandelion tea are diuretics, so for every cup of tea you have you want to make sure to have a cup of water. Just keep the fluids flowing through your body, which brings me to what you are going to eat for lunch and dinner.
- My favourite detoxifying vegetable is leeks. In North America, we don’t use them a lot but women in France swear by them. They’re a massive beauty food for a couple of reasons. Number one, they’re a diuretic. So similar to the dandelion, they help flush toxins out of the body. They’re very nutritious. They have lots of vitamins and minerals – and they are particularly high in vitamin A, which is amazing for the skin. And, this is what really makes them special, because they’re part of the onion family, they contain a compound called allicin. Allicin is the active ingredient in garlic. It’s highly anti-microbial and it really is a tonic for the body. So because acne patients tend to have an imbalanced allicin is really helpful. Leeks also act as a prebiotic. A simple Leek Detox Soups is super easy to prepare: take three leeks and cut them in slices, the white part and the very light green part, boil them in eight cups of water for 20 to 30 minutes. That’s it and then use that as your soup. Very, very detoxifying. You can add other veggies in if you want too, but it’s the leeks that really count.
- Dry brushing is a very simple practice that helps move the lymphatic system. You gently brush your skin, and you brush it in the direction of your heart, before you get into the shower. And because acne patients tend to experience lymphatic stagnation, moving the lymph through dry brushing is a very effective – and it feels great! After dry brushing enjoy a warm shower or Epsom salts bath. Epsom salts are basically magnesium, and an Epsom salts bath will deeply relax and heal the body.
- After your Epsom salt bath, get ready to relax with a castor oil pack. Castor oil is an ancient remedy, and it has been used throughout the centuries to heal just about everything. Castor oil is very special because it has a very low molecular weight. This allows the castor oil to penetrate deeply through the skin where it can affect the blood vessels and the lymph flow, which means it’s very detoxifying, especially because it removes stagnation in the lymphatic system. How do you do a castor oil pack? First, rub the castor oil over your liver, then put a flannel cloth over the area, followed by a heating pad or a hot water bottle. The heat will help the castor oil penetrate deeply.
Doesn’t that sound like an amazing reset? Believe me, after following my top 5 tips to reset – and doing this for a couple of days, you will fell lighter, clearer and more energetic. I do this often and it works. It really does work.
And even though this protocol can help clear your skin, acne is a complex condition. Hormones, cytokines, and microbes that are all involved in the pathogenesis of acne, so to totally completely resolve acne for good we need to balance the body from the inside out. It takes more than just a day to get rid of acne for good – but doing a reset day is really a great start.
If you need more assistance healing your acne for good, check out my 7-week clear skin program. I’ve been healing acne for over 14 years, I’ve seen just about everything! Click the link below to learn more about how you can get rid of acne for good. You don’t have to live with acne anymore.