Have you ever experienced the following scenario? You are eating healthier than ever before, taking all the right supplements and getting some really good guidance. You feel as though your skin is going to clear right up. And then – it gets worse. What gives?
This is called a healing crisis, and the medical term for it is a ‘Herzheimer’s Reaction’. Let me explain.
1. What causes a Healing Crisis?
When toxins are dislodged into circulation the organs of elimination (ie. Liver, kidney, bowels) are not able to eliminate the toxins quickly enough. Consequently the excess toxins can aggravate the brainstem region of the brain and cause the following symptoms: nausea, fatigue, malaise, poor coordination, and headache.
In addition, many of the therapies that are designed to clear the skin (ie. Sugar elimination, introduction of fermented foods, liver support, probiotics and anti-microbial herbs) will start to kill pathogenic microbes that reside in the gut. Often these yeast, fungal, bacterial and viral microbes will release endotoxins into the bloodstream. This is their form of defense. Endotoxins can cause an increase of symptoms (including acne, headaches, fatigue, malaise, fever, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, skin rashes, etc.) in the body.
2. What are the symptoms of a Healing Crisis?
- Nausea / Vomitting
- Muscle and joint aches and pains
- Skin Rashes
- Sinus congestion
3. How long will the Healing Crisis last?
The Healing Crisis often lasts 2-3 days but it also depends on the individual’s level of toxicity. It can continue for up to a few weeks.
4. What to do during a Healing Crisis?
- Remember to see the Healing Crisis as a sign of progress and healing. It is a short-term period that will lead to greater healing and clear skin.
- Drink 8oz of water every hour. Add either ½ a squeezed lemon or 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar to each 8 oz of water. Both lemon and apple cider vinegar help the body flush endo-toxic waste, enhance the body’s detoxification pathways, neutralize free radicals and reduce inflammatory damage.
- Sleep 10-12 hours each night during the detox reaction.
- Double your dose of probiotics (in Module 3 probiotics have not yet been introduced, they will be introduced in Module 4)
- Drink dandelion and ginger tea. Add onion and garlic to your food.
- Hydrotherapy: Contrast showers, dry brushing and Epsom salt baths will help ease the symptoms of a Healing Crisis.